Friday, April 10, 2009

Introduction

London. Substitute teaching.

These terms are not well received in the teaching world when put together. It's a bit like saying "contract oil worker" and "Nigerian delta". Sure the money is great, but for a reason. If you have a co-worker who's mentioned anything about this you should practice how to raise one eyebrow in a gesture that says both "Really?" and, subtly, "You idiot."

London has a reputation for being a hard place for subs. The kids talk back. They don't listen. They're tough. So why am I doing it? And why am I writing about it?

I write. Fiction and non-fiction. This blog -- my first -- provides a way to keep up with the craft. I might update it often, I might not. It might become an obsession or an annoyance. I might write about the children and the teaching, or I might concentrate on the unusual aspects of London life. We'll see.

I need money. There are few teaching positions in Ottawa and there aren't enough teachers in England. Recruiting agencies formed to seek out teachers from other countries and bring them over. I've signed up with one of these agencies. The money is good and I can start subbing full-time within days of arrival.

So let's see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment