Sunday, May 3, 2009

Cajun Squirrel


Times are tough in London. Foodstuffs that would not have otherwise been eaten are commonplace. Squirrels (see picture) are delicacies, and are viciously fought over. Or so I'm led to believe.

The last three days have been great. I arrived on Friday, was sped away through London to my recruiting office where I finished paperwork before being deposited at my friend's house. The flat is in a great area and not too far from my schools. I now have a very expensive SIM card for my phone so I can call people while waiting for the Tube using my very expensive Travelcard. I've just dealt with the basics really, buying food and figuring out how to get around. I don't think there will be much sightseeing for a while. I really prefer to live in this country rather than be a tourist. That said, there's lots to see and do.

Last night for example, a good friend and I went to a pub. One strange phenomenon here is that if there isn't any room in the pub, you just go outside...and stand. Or you can sit on the curb. The first time I saw this I wondered why several dozen people were milling about on a streetcorner with pints of beer and cider. No problem, I was told, this is a normal Saturday afternoon.

I think the best thing for this blog is to write in short bursts. A long blog is just not interesting. So I will stop and try again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment