Friday, May 8, 2009

First Week




I waited a week before updating because after the second day of work I realized I needed more perspective before commenting on teaching in London. I though it would be interesting to do a Q&A-style entry. If you have any additional questions you know where to reach me. I’ll post them without naming names.


Q: So how are things going generally?

A: Great! The job is easy, I live in a great neighborhood, and I enjoy what I’m doing.


Q: Is London as expensive as they say?

A: It is. But there is a difference between living well and living recklessly. I don’t go out (too busy really), I shop at grocery stores where prices are the same as Canada’s, I have all the possessions I need, and I’m rooming with a good friend who is giving me a more than fair price on my room. I also have a tube/bus pass.


Q: What’s a tube?

A: Tube is the slang term for the subway system.


Q: Have you run into any lessons you couldn’t handle?

A: No. But I have had to teach a cricket lesson.


Q: But you don’t know how to play cricket. What did you do?

A: Standard teacher move. First, be honest. Second, solve the problem. The first thing I did was tell the kids I didn’t know anything about cricket. The second thing was to recruit a student (8 years old) to lead the class in the lesson.


Q: Did it work?

A: In a way. The only problem was when students complained to me that someone had broken the rules. I solved this problem by telling the other team that they could now do whatever the other team had done, one time.


Q: What do the schools look like?

A: With a population of 7.5 million (7 times the size of Ottawa) there are many schools. I usually work at schools that are similar to those in Ottawa. The one difference is the ceilings. For some reason they are very high. We’re talking almost church-like. I have no idea why.


Q: Are the students OK?

A: Yes. I have not had serious problems with any student. If you take the standard Canadian group of students it’s the same thing here. You have students that worry, please, gossip, laugh, cry, push, help, fight, babble…they are the same.


Q: What are some funny things kids have said?

A: “You speak like the people from Scotland.”

“Don’t you have trainers (sneakers)?” (I wear dress shoes to work)

“What football team do you support?” (said on first meeting with class before I even said a single word)

“Are you from Chicago?”

“Ummm, you know, our teacher usually gives us biscuits (cookies) at the end of the day.”


Q: What are British teachers like?

A: It’s difficult to say. The vast majority seem to be apathetic. There is a lot of sighing. But I experienced that in Canada as well. There is certainly a lot of yelling in the schools. “RIGHT! THAT IS VERY DISRESPECFUL!” Again though, I’ve seen that in Canada.


Q: How are the lessons different?

A: No question about it, the rapidity of education in England is higher than Canada. The students understand math at a much higher level than Canadian students. Literacy seems better as well, although not with all schools.


Q: You said you’d be in rough schools. How bad are the neighborhoods?

A: They really aren’t bad. They are a little poorer and more racially mixed. There are bookies on every street and not a lot of high-end shops. But I wouldn’t say they’re dangerous. At night it might be a different story. But I’m there 8-4 pm.


Q: What has surprised you about the physical London?

A: Geographically, it’s odd. It’s not a tall city. The core has high buildings. But most of the city seems to be spread out. Imagine Vancouver where some giant has palmed down all the buildings into a huge radius. You can take the train from one location to another and completely change environments. All of a sudden there are nice fields, trees, and flowers. The next second you’re back to the graffiti and kebab stores.


Q: How is transport?

A: It’s good. The tube, overground trains, and buses all run throughout the city. Getting from A to B is a matter of linking up routes between the three. But all of this is done via an online travelplanner that is a cinch to use.


Q: How much is Strongbow?

A: It’s about 7 dollars for four cans. That’s right.


Q: Any other foreigners?

A: London is ALL foreigners it seems sometime. But yes, my accent impresses nobody. And by that I mean my Canadian accent. And by that I mean, yes, we do have an accent.


Q: Any other Canadian teachers.

A: Quite a few actually. Many from Ontario. They couldn’t find jobs there so guess what? They came to London.


Q: Anything else?

A: Before I left, more than a few people said “You’ll have a great time.” I really have had a great time in the last week. I highly recommend other teachers come and try it.


Q: But didn’t it cost you money to come to London?

A: In the last 4 days of work I’ve made it back. Booyah. Good luck with your sub lists.


Q: What’s in the future?

A: Football game at the pub tomorrow followed by my friend’s housewarming. It’s a rough life.

2 comments:

  1. I love this pic. It is definitely something I picture when I think of London.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what football team do you tell them you support? Toronto FC?

    ReplyDelete